Thursday, August 5, 2010

Not My Favorite Job

A few weeks ago I tried canning some peaches (pictured above) and some apricots (pictured below). The apricots were fairly straightforward. Slice them in half, remove the pit, put them in hot jars, add syrup and place the jars in the canner. To can peaches, you follow the same process, except you need to blanch and peel the  peaches before you put them in hot jars. I blanched the peaches (put them into boiling water for a minute, then into ice water) but they would not peel. I tried blanching them again, this time for two minutes and they still wouldn't peel. I ended up removing the peels with a paring knife, which was not a fun or quick job. After discussing the problem with my mother-in-law, an experienced canner, I realised that the super cheap peaches I used were probably not ripe enough. Grrr. Hopefully I'll forget this experience and be willing to try again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment