Thursday, May 20, 2010

The First Harvest of the Season: Accidental Radishes


I was watering the garden this morning and discovered radishes in the lettuce box. I thought they were a variety of lettuce until this morning when I noticed large red bulges at the base of the plants. I was particularly surprised as I hadn't planted radishes in this spot. I was out with my toddler girls planting seeds in April and May. Rosie was very good at sprinkling handfuls of seed in the little furrows I had made, but Alex was more interested in grabbing fistfuls of seed, tasting them, spitting them out and throwing them into random garden beds. As it happened, the radish seeds I planted were dug up and eaten by the chickens, who were subsequently moved into a fenced-in chicken run. Alex's radishes were the only ones to survive. Perhaps I should let her do more of the planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment