Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Lone Strawberry

A few months ago, I was excited to dedicate one of our eight garden beds to the growing of strawberries. We planted 18 small strawberry starts and then watched a late season cold snap destroy all but a handful of them.  We bought a bunch more to replace the dead ones. Everything was looking healthy until the temperature rose a week and a half ago, killing many more. in the days that followed. I've become much more protective of the strawberries now that I can see how delicate they are. Finally, one of the plants is producing an actual strawberry. Unfortunately, Rosie and Alex have seen it and whenever I take them out to the garden, I have to guard that strawberry. Whenever I turn around, Alex will lift the net that protects the plants from animal predators and reach for the strawberry. I'm glad that she's not that fast. The prized strawberry may yet live and ripen.

No comments:

Post a Comment