Monday, June 7, 2010

Peas Please

The sugar snap peas were a big winner this year. I also planted little marvel and green arrow varieties, but some of those seeds were dug up and eaten by chickens. For some reason, the chickens left this bed alone and I've enjoyed watching the peas grow. Most of our acre of land is bare dirt and these peas have added a significant amount of green to our backyard landscape.

I planted these peas on a warm day in late February/early March. I've cared for them for about three months and now they're ready to harvest. We've eaten them straight off the vine (or in Alex's case on the vine), cooked with dinner and we will eat some of them this winter, as I've blanched and frozen some of them. For all of the work I've put it, there really aren't that many peas, perhaps three or four meals worth, but it doesn't seem to matter.

It sounds corny to say, but there is a great deal of drama in gardening. Its like a reality tv show is taking place in my backyard. My very own soap opera. Will it work? Won't it work? Will that late-season frost kill my plants? Will they germinate? Will pollinators, like our bees, find their way to the flowers at the right time? Will the chickens eat my seeds? Will deer eat my plants and trees? Will the neighbor's goats get loose and eat everything? Will nature, which I only partly understand, work its magic? I love the eating part of having a garden, but watching the garden drama unfold over the season is one of the great pleasures of gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment